Tuesday, April 13, 2010

No Cake for Darling

It's going to be my dear coworker's birthday tomorrow and I always try to bring a cake for my coworkers' birthdays. I didn't know if I was up for it this time around, being sick and all, but after a long day at the front desk and a nap induced by the supposedly non-drowsy daytime Neocitran, I was feeling much better and thought I could come up with something. I had wanted to bake her a cheesecake originally because of how much she seemed to enjoy it last year, but I didn't want to spend too long in the kitchen and overexert myself, so I switched to something quick and easy - a mousse cake similar to the Portugese "pudim de bolacha". Of course I adapted it to what I had on-hand, but it's basically a layered pudding of cookie crumbs and whipped cream flavored with condensed milk, made in a spring-form pan to resemble a cake. Yes, that's right - merely three ingredients and you can have a presentable and delicious cake that couldn't be any simpler.
Indeed it was simple. I was done assembling and decorating in about an hour - but tragedy struck when the bottom of my spring-form pan gave in and collapsed on the way to the fridge and half the cake ended up on the floor. I could only salvage what's left in the pan (which remained in my hands) and it wasn't pretty. All the time and effort that went into piping and decorating were lost - plus now I had to put in extra time to clean. It was the first time ever that I had scraped whipped cream from the floor. It was also the first time in a long while that I had mopped the kitchen. It's time to shop for a new spring-form pan.

Sorry Darling, but I don't think there will be home-made cake this year for your birthday.  Unless if I skip Zumba tonight, but I doubt that would happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment